For internships excluding undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate medical and continuing education: Below you will find frequently asked questions on what you need to know and do about internships during the lockdown.
For additional information :
- FAQ Mobility (available soon)
- FAQ Students (available soon)
Can the internships take place between October 30rd and December 1st 2020?
Yes. Internships outside of Université de Paris can take place or continue on face-to-face basis, however, only when working remotely is not possible or relevant. In fact, as soon as the host organisation considers that the assignment entrusted to the intern cannot be carried out remotely, the internship can be carried out face-to-face within the host’s premises. The interns are then authorised to commute between their home and the location of their internship. For this reason, they must provide proof of professional travel completed by the host organisation, as well as ID proving their identification. However, the internship requires that the host organisation complies strictly with the national protocol to ensure the health and safety of employees in the workplace with respect to the COVID-19 epidemic and, where applicable, the associated job descriptions.
Regarding the internships in laboratories and research labs of Université de Paris, they can take place in person, but if remote work is impossible and subject to compliance with health regulations.
For internships in the administrative departments of Université de Paris, please refer to the FAQ from the Human Resources and Organisations Department.
You are on an internship or you have signed an agreement without having started your internship during the lockdown: if a change in the organisation of your internship is required, how is this change done contractually?
An amendment should be drawn up which, exceptionally and in view of the situation, may be signed and transmitted electronically or scanned. In the case of a remote internship, the intern who continues at home must remain under the control of the host organisation, comply with the conditions of the internship agreement, the amendment and pursue to the best possible extent, the assignment entrusted to him.
Download the amendment to the Internship agreement
Note: in case of travel to the internship location you must:
- Fill out and download the certificate of exceptional travel which can be found online on the Ministry of the Interior website or write a certificate on a blank piece of paper.(english version attestation-de-deplacement-derogatoire)
- Check off (or copied) : “Commuting to and from work or a university or training facility, business travel that cannot be postponed, travel for a competition or examination”
- Provide an identification card
- Provide proof from the host organisation, allowing you to prove that the travel in question falls under one of the cases of authorised access.
The internship agreement, is it mandatory for internships which have not yet started?
Yes. It stipulates the commitments and responsibilities of the host organisation, the university and the student.
Without the internship agreement:
The host organisation puts themselves in an illegal position and can be prosecuted for undeclared work in the event of an inspection by the labour authorities.
The student has no legal existence under labour law, he is not covered for work related injuries /travel accident risk.
Which parties sign the internship agreement of amendment?
5 signatures are mandatory for signing the internship agreement and the amendment Reference: art D124-4 education code).
The signatures must come from:
- the legal representative of the host organization (or its delegated representative)
- the tutor indicated in the internship agreement
- the student
- the teacher-referee indicated on the practicum agreement
- the president or his representative by delegation of signature of the institution of higher education
Given the circumstance due to the global pandemic, the signatures are authorised exceptionally by scan as from the moment the identity of the signatories is proven, in accordance with articles 1366 et seq. of the Civil Code.
I am on internship at home, does the stipend continue to be paid?
Where a stipend was foreseen, if the internship is pursued remotely, the stipend remains payable. If the host organisation is closed, there are several situations that will have to be settled by an amendment to the internship agreement:
- Closure of the premises, but continuity of activities: If the internship allows it and if the parties agree, the internship may continue at home and a stipend must be paid. If the internship must be suspended, the stipend is suspended.
- Closure of the premises and shut down of activities by the host organisation: The internship will be interrupted and the stipend will be suspended. E-mails or other means of communication should be encouraged to acknowledge this.
Please note the following: If discontinuance of disbursement of a stipend results in financial challenges you can apply for financial aid from Université de Paris.
When can I contact my academic advisor ?
The academic advisor will always maintain contact with his or her student and will verify that the student is still carrying out his or her assignment in conjunction with the host organisation. Students should address any questions related to the content of the internship to the academic advisor if the content does not seem to comply with the pedagogical specifications outlined in the internship agreement or if a particular problem arises with the host organisation.
Who should I contact if I find myself in a difficult health, medical or social situation as a result? updated 27 may
For any health-related questions: contact your supervisor in the host organisation.
For any medical-related questions: contact online medical prevention service
For social services: contact the social works at Crous de Paris by mail or on line
At the same time, in order to support its students and the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic in their daily lives, Université of Paris is putting in place exceptional measures of social aid for those whose financial situation is affected. For more information
Consult the special FAQ Mobility (lockdown) which will soon be available.
An internship agreement for abroad (In Europe or outside of Europe) can it be contracted for the current academic year?
Yes. Internships abroad are possible, based on three conditions:
- Your internship must be approved by your academic advisor.
- The authorities of the host country must authorise your arrival (issuance of a visa allowing you to have internship status for the countries concerned, or general and official information for the countries of the Schengen area).
- A specific repatriation insurance is taken out by the intern for the return, in case of lockdown or other circumstances making it impossible to continue the internship.
However, Université de Paris continues to be dependent on the current health situation. Depending on how it evolves, the possibility of a cancellation of your departure abroad should be considered. We recommend that you keep yourself informed regularly about the health situation and the hospitality conditions in your country of mobility.
> For more information, go to the website Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs
> Consult the FAQ Student Mobility (available soon)
Internships are not employment contracts. Interns must not be employed nor replace employees. They are not part of business continuity plans, as they are not necessary for continuing operations.
Undergraduate and graduate students in health studies are not affected by these provisions.
Continuing education interns are not affected by these provisions.
> For additional information on internships, contact by e-mail :
Alexandra Maure, doctorante à l’école doctorale Bio Sorbonne Paris Cité, a été sélectionnée parmi 88 candidatures issues de 34 universités pour participer à la prochaine édition de la bande dessinée « Sciences en bulles ». "Sciences en bulles" édition 2019...
Malgré le contexte, l’EIDD a donné l’opportunité à ses élèves ingénieurs de valoriser leurs compétences auprès des entreprises en organisant un Forum virtuel le 19 novembre dernier. L’occasion également pour l’École d’ingénieurs d’Université de...
Alexandre Loupy, professeur des universités praticien hospitalier (AP-HP/Université de Paris), néphrologue à l’hôpital Necker-Enfants est l'un des deux lauréats Université de Paris du Prix des Innovateurs en Santé de la Région Ile-de-France. Il a reçu 25...
Localisation : Université de Paris Direction Générale Déléguée des Ressources Humaines et des Organisations (DGDRHO) 5 rue Thomas Mann, 75013 Paris 12 rue de l'école de médecine, 75006 Paris Catégorie : A+ Prise de fonction : 01/02/2021 Sous...